Scotland: Final man on UK's ‘loneliest avenue' spends £2,000 on flat

[ad_1]
Nick Wisniewski is the final man standing on ‘Britain’s loneliest avenue’ (Image: SWNS)

The final individual dwelling on ‘Britain’s loneliest avenue’ after he refused to maneuver out continues to be spending cash adorning his dwelling.

Nick Wisniewski, 67, has no neighbours within the 128 flats round him after eight blocks on Stanhope Place in Wishaw, North Lanarkshire, had been scheduled for demolition.

Regardless of repeated presents to purchase him out, Nick has refused to go away and blasted council chiefs, who he claims haven’t spoken to him since November 2021.

Retired financial institution employee Nick says nobody cleans the block anymore and the halls have been left in darkness with lights not approaching in different flooring.

He additionally claims an space within the automobile park exterior of his flat has grow to be an eyesore with garbage piled up and grass badly overgrown.

Nick is the one resident inside eight blocks of condemned flats in his deserted neighbourhood in North Lanarkshire (Image: SWNS)

North Lanarkshire Council initially supplied Nick £35,000 and two years’ hire to maneuver out of the flat, which he purchased in 2017 underneath the Proper to Purchase scheme.

However Nick turned down the presents, claiming it was too low and did not take note of rising home costs.

As a substitute, the pensioner has spent practically £2,000 repainting, carpeting his front room and panelling his corridor – and mentioned he has no plans to go away.

Nick mentioned: ‘I've painted the entire flat and achieved some wallpapering within the corridor and front room.

‘I put up some wooden panelling within the corridor, it’s trying very nice.

‘I needed to get a brand new cooker too, so all in I feel it price me between £1,500 and £2,000.

‘I’m not anxious about spending cash on the flat as a result of I feel I'm going to be right here for some time, I've nonetheless heard nothing from the council.

‘On the finish of final 12 months they mentioned they had been doing a obligatory buy order however they haven’t even notified me about it.

Retired banker Nick has spent over £2,000 fixing up his flat regardless of makes an attempt from the council to purchase him out (Image: SWNS)
The world has grow to be a dumping floor for garbage, which Nick says the council do nothing about (Image: SWNS)

‘I don’t know if it was all a ploy to try to scare me into contacting them – however why ought to I've to get in contact with them.

‘If they need me to go they should get in contact with me.

‘The final time I spoke to anybody from the council about it was November 2021, it’s completely stunning.’

He mentioned the realm was once buzzing with round 200 folks, however the final residents left in December 2021.

‘After I came upon I used to be going to be the final individual left on the road I actually did fear there could be an issue, however fortunately there hasn’t been any bother,’ he mentioned.

‘I could possibly be incorrect, however I'm assuming the council are holding off till they construct the brand new bungalows and possibly they are going to provide me one in all them.

‘They initially mentioned they'd give me two years hire free, however I'd need greater than that now.

‘If they're providing me cash for the flat it might should be close to the £100,000 mark now – costs have gone up, all the pieces is costlier now.’

Get in contact with our information staff by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For extra tales like this, verify our information web page.


[ad_2]
Supply hyperlink https://classifiedsmarketing.com/?p=42253&feed_id=151234

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post